Thursday, October 18, 2007
Cookies and Mother in laws...
Well, according to dadi, i used to make the best chocolate chip cookies ever. but over the years, my abilities have slipped . For the life of me, i could not figure out why. my cookies had become spongy. we don't like spongy cookies. we like soft, chewy, yummy cookies. now some of you bakers out there, may know exactly what makes a cookie spongy, but i did not. So on Monday i made some cookies and they were spongy yet again. over the next couple of days my mother in law would ask me questions "did you change the flour?", "did you change the butter?" "what about the temperature?". then, while sitting there next to me on the couch she said "you know, if you want a more "cake like" brownie, you add eggs. are you buying LARGE eggs now?" i told her that i always buy large eggs and i hadn't changed my ingredients in any way. then she said "well..... over the years everything has seemed to have gotten bigger, maybe the large eggs have gotten bigger as well." so, i thought about this and decided that her theory of the spongy cookie made sense. Today i baked some cookies for a friend and dadi delivered them to her. I decided to put in 1 egg and then beat the other one and only add half of it to the bowl. I mixed everything together and put them in the oven. When i opened the oven door 9 minutes later i found that my cookies had be reborn!! hallelujah!!! i rushed a hot one out to dadi and he took the first bite. his eyes lit up and he said "now that's what I'm talking about!!" I'm so excited that my cookies have return to their normal delicious selves. I am so very thankful for a smart mother in law that would not rest until she figured out a solution for my yummy cookies. YES!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
I'm so glad you solved this perplexing mystery. And I hate spongy cookies so I will keep this in mind.
So excited for you. It's so satisfying to make perfect cookies!
Post a Comment