Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Poem for Jill

I wrote a poem to read at Jill's memorial on Saturday. I have been thinking about it all day and I couldn't sleep so I had to come down and write it up while I was thinking about it. Now, before I post it, I have to give a little bit of history since you all didn't know her. First of all, my cousin Jill was tough. She didn't let too many people see her softer side. But I was one of the lucky ones. Second, she had the most contagious laugh. She laughed like a high pitched chipmunk and it was such a funny laugh you would start laughing when she really got going. and Third, I don't even remember how this started but when I was about sixteen, for some strange reason, I grabbed her boob and she jumped so high. This girl was super tough and to see her jump and squirm like that was hilarious so from there on out, every time i would see her, i would grab her boob when she was least expecting it. It became sort of our thing. I even did it when I first went to see her in the hospital. At that time, she was under medication and did not know I did it, but I still had to do it. I could not break tradition!!
So here's my poem..... p.s., it's meant to be fun, not serious.

Hey Jill, you’ve left too early. You big ol’ stinker you!
You always wanted things your way and mostly got them too.
You tried to show me you were tough but I broke down your wall.
You opened up and showed to me that sweet girl after all.
I remember going to the beach when I was about twelve.
We came home to decorate a can with all the pretty shells.
I’ll remember your laugh best. That silly chipmunk giggle.
When we’d meet, I’d grab your boob and boy did you wiggle.
Papa once told me when you were young, you looked up to the sky,
And pointed at the big “toenail” way up there so high.
Now forever when I look up and see a crescent moon,
I’ll tell my kids “That’s Jill’s toenail” and I’ll think of you.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Awesome! I'm sure Jill is smiling from above! Good job Cory!

The Greathouse Family said...

Even though it's funny, it still made me tear up. I'm sorry you lost such a wonderful cousin.

Ronda said...

Great Cory...
poems are my favorite way to express myself too...
Sorry for your loss.

Vanessa said...

That's funny. I teared up at the end though. Sorry I haven't answered your calls. I'm a terrible friend. Between company and sick kids . . . I need a break. I hope all goes well this weekend at the memorial.

Jaime said...

Cute Cory. The family will like it.