Thursday, June 4, 2009
My Grandma
My grandma has really gone down hill very quickly. Apparently she has Alzheimer's. This is the crazy with energy still bowling at 92 years old Grandma so it's a little hard to understand. I know things like this happen all the time, it's just hard to see some one with soooo much energy and everything get bad so quickly. My mom has been dealing with a lot of it the last week and seeing her decline so fast (within a matter of days). She is in the process of trying to find live in help. If she can't find that, they will have no other option but to have her go into a home. As of right now, I don't think any one can take her in to live with them. Either there is not enough room, or people work full time jobs, etc. So they're figuring out all the options right now. In the mean time, we're all just trying to pitch in and go out to her home to make sure everything is okay and that she's eating, etc. Tomorrow I am going out there. Both of my uncles and are on vacation and my mom is going out of town this weekend as well. So I'm going to drive out there tomorrow with the kids and visit her and stuff. Then depending on how it goes, I might need to go out there again on Saturday. Maybe I will just spend the night. I don't know right now. Anyways, it's sad but it's a part of life. it happens to so many people. Their bodies are in good shape, but their brains aren't. I feel bad for my mom. This is a lot of stress for her right now. It's not something she's ever had to deal with before because my grandma has always been very independent. I mean independent to the point where if you were to call her and say "hey grandma, I want to come visit you this week" she would say... "Oh, this week is no good. I have bowling on Tuesday and Thursday, poker on Wednesday, a luncheon on Monday and bunco and bingo on Friday. Can you come on Sunday between 10:00 and 2:00??" So it's a little bit strange for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Alzheimers is so weird. You just never know what to expect. It's amazing she's been so active so long. That's probably what kept her alive! Take lots of pictures of her with the kids!
Hang in there. Alzheimers can be tough emotionally. My maternal Grandmother was diagnosed 2-3 years ago and has been doing fine until recently. We only had to handle dementia and physcial decline with Grams. We love you and send our love and support. If you have any questions feel free to email them and I know my mom and Aunt have a lot of answers about Alzheimers.
Post a Comment